He’s Alive! Myanmar Pastor Presumed Dead Returns Home to Family

WILLS POINT, TX – A national pastor in Myanmar supported by Gospel for Asia (GFA World and affiliates like Gospel for Asia Canada) was forcibly removed at gunpoint from his home by five men on January 19, 2019. The men are believed to have been members of a rebel army that has been seeking control of the Rakhine state. His name is Pastor Tun N.

A pastor in Myanmar taken by gunpoint in front of his wife and three children on January 19, 2019, has been returned alive. He has been presumed dead since February 17, 2019.
After 14 months of captivity, Pastor Tun was released and reunited with his family.

His wife, left alone with their three children, was told by his captors only that he was being taken for questioning. Police and militia spent two weeks searching but were unable to find even a trace of Pastor Tun.

Conflict in the Rakhine state left dozens dead and nearly 150,000 people displaced in 2019. In the midst of such turmoil, Pastor Tun’s wife committed to pray relentlessly for his safety. It is remarkable to contemplate the faith of a woman who would not give up on the Lord’s mercies, grace, and providence for her husband even in the darkest of circumstances.

However, the fears of many were confirmed when, on February 1, 2019, it was reported that Pastor Tun had been killed by his kidnappers.

However, God was still working. On April 4, 2020, nearly 14 months later, Gospel for Asia (GFA) reported,

“To our great joy, we recently received information that Pastor Tun, who we believed had been killed, … is alive and reunited with his wife and children.

“Miraculously, on March 7, the insurgent group released Pastor Tun into the hands of his village elders with threats of future harm.”

His family and friends rejoiced when they learned that Tun was not dead, but alive. The pastor described his 14-month captivity as “the most hellish time of my life, be it spiritually, mentally, and, in particular, physically.”

Join us in praising the Lord that Pastor Tun is still alive, safe and now reunited with his family, as K.P. Yohannan shares in the video below.

A familiar story

It is interesting that this miraculous story has come out surrounding Easter week as Christians around the world recently celebrated the reemergence of another man thought to have been dead.

His name is Jesus Christ.

He lived during dangerous times when Israel was under the control of the Roman Empire. The punishment of death was meted out on a regular basis. In fact, a Roman leader sentenced Jesus to death by crucifixion. The penalty was carried out summarily the same day in public.

There was no doubt that Jesus was dead. His burial was well-documented. His followers went their separate ways in various stages of disappointment, sorrow and bewilderment. Jesus was dead. Their hopes had been crushed.

Three days later, everything changed. To their surprise, Jesus was alive! He still bore the scars of the nails that held Him to the cross, but there He was, fully alive and meeting with his disciples and other believers.

As we rejoice in Pastor Tun’s delivery from death, let it be a reminder of the One who died for our sins, rose from the grave and lives today. By His grace, we are saved. By His promise, He is coming soon!

Read more news on Christian Persecution and Gospel for Asia on Missions Box.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.